- Famous New Yorkers XIV – Each month we will be profiling famous New Yorkers ( 1 per week) who contributed to our state, nation and world. Each profile — targeted toward grades 4-8, will be accompanied by a photograph, locator map and Teachers Guide. This series will last up until Christmas break and skip the week of Thanksgiving. This month we are featuring:
- Red Ribbon Week is Oct. 23-31: The Red Ribbon Campaign® is the oldest and largest drug prevention program in the nation reaching millions of young people during Red Ribbon Week®. Visit http://redribbon.org/about/ to learn more about the campaign and take the pledge to be a part of creating a drug free America.
- October is Fire Prevention Month: Every year the National Fire Protection Association sounds the alarm about keeping our homes and family safe from fire. This year the focus is on the importance of having working smoke alarms in each bedroom. Click here for a checklist for students to complete and a newspaper activity.
- The Origins of Halloween and The Day of the Dead
- Word Puzzles
- 65 Healthy Halloween Snack Ideas
- Halloween Art Project using old newspapers