- Celebrate Law Day throughout the month of May: The NYNPA NIE Program has finished creating an 8-part series based on this year’s American Bar Association theme, Magna Carta 800: Symbol of Freedom Under Law.
Perhaps more than any other document in history, Magna Carta has come to embody a simple but enduring truth: No one, no matter how powerful, is above the law. In the eight centuries that have elapsed since Magna Carta was sealed in 1215, it has taken root as an international symbol of the rule of law and as an inspiration for many basic rights Americans hold dear including habeas corpus and due process. In keeping with this year’s theme, the NYNPA NIE program in partnership with the Law, Youth and Citizenship program of the NYS Bar Association has developed an eight part educational series to prompt discussion about these principles. Complete with an 18 page teaching guide with graphic organizers this series includes lessons easily adaptable for differentiated instruction.
- Cartoons for the Classroom: A joint effort between the Association of American Editorial Cartoonists and NIEonline to provide lesson plans based on political cartoons. Every other week a new set of pdf files is posted for teachers to download and print out for their classes. One page is a lesson on a specific topic, the other is a blank cartoon on that topic that students can use to test out their own captions before reading the lesson and answering the questions. A popular feature of Cartoons for the Classroom is the Cartoon Analysis Worksheet — used by students to dissect and analyze political cartoons from their own newspaper. The worksheet is a two-page pdf file that guides students through the process of analyzing any political cartoon.
- Memorial Day – May 25, 2015: Here are some resources to educate students about the history of Memorial Day/Decoration Day.
- Library of Congress, Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers: Topic – Memorial Day/Decoration Day (1868-1920).
- Curriculum Resources that Reinforce the Meaning Behind Memorial Day Observances by National Education Association.
- Lesson plan resources for Memorial Day, along with some engaging multimedia resources collected and presented by Edutopia.
- Crafts: Newspaper flower pots
- Weekly news driven questions in our daily paper every Tuesday: Access by logging in to your e-edition account. Look for the NIE logo!
- Quote of the Month: “Think left and think right think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try.” – Dr. Seuss
- Word Puzzles:
- CONGRATULATIONS to the 2015 My Favorite Teacher Contest Winner!