- Earth Day – April 22nd: April brings relief from the bitter, snowy winter that went on too long! As nature springs to life in April, it’s time to think about the environment and the celebration of Earth Day on April 22nd. Check out the below activities that focus on our Earth and what we can do to protect it.
- My Favorite Teacher Contest: A writing contest for students in grades 6-12 in Oneida, Herkimer, and Madison Counties. Students must write an essay about a teacher that they currently have or had in the past that has influenced their life. The essay should explain what the teacher did to change their life and what they loved most about being in their class. The essay must not exceed 500 words, must be typed and in English. Contest starts April 15th – April 24th. The O-D Marketing Committee will review all submissions and choose the winner on April 28th. The winning teacher, student and essay will be featured in the O-D (print & online) on May 5th. There will be prizes!!
- Mega Skills: An 11 part series based on building children’s achievement for the information age incorporating the following topics: Confidence, Motivation, Effort, Responsibility, Initiative, Perseverance, Caring, Teamwork, Common Sense, Problem Solving and Focus.
- Art Project: Check out this blog post for a Recycled Flower Art project for elementary students!
- Weekly news driven questions in our daily paper every Tuesday: Access by logging in to your e-edition account. Look for the NIE logo!
- Quote of the Month: “The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows.” – Sydney J. Harris